For more than 40 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support organization with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness, determination and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Austin Street is currently seeking an Accounting Assistant to join our Accounting Department. Accounting Assistants at Austin Street are responsible for the processing of general administrative functions within the accounting department. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: processing expense reports, maintaining spreadsheets, processing A/P invoices, and maintaining vendor relationships. This position will also entail ten-key and alphanumeric data entry into different types of databases. The role may involve additional responsibilities and opportunities as they become necessary and/or are assigned by management.
Your role will support the mission through the following actions:
General Accounting Responsibility
- Processes high volume of invoices with accuracy and on time
- Analyzes invoices for accuracy and eligibility for payment
- Sort, log, scan and file invoices, checks and other documents
- Verify, log and send checks, including facilitating special handling
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts
- Receives and verifies expense reports
- Entry of receipts and receivables
- Maintains and updates vendor files, including name or address changes, mailing attentions, tax Ids, etc.
- Research any vendor discrepancies
- Timely bill paying
- Identifies discount opportunities for purchases
- Office Supply and Amazon orders for multiple departments
- Assist Accounting Department with various projects and reports
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements:
- Accounting Experience preferred
- Advanced MS Excel Skills
- Ethical conduct
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, multitask and achieve effective time management
- Ability to follow standard procedures
- Sense of urgency and capability of making deadlines
- Maintain strict client information and donor information.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Ability to self-manage and work well as part of a team
- Keen attention to detail and strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Thoroughness and accuracy
- Math and detail-oriented skills, ability to learn and be hands-on
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
- Experience working in deadline driven environments
- Demonstrates adaptability to performing a variety of duties, occasionally changing from one task to another of a different nature with minimal loss of efficiency or composure.