Austin Street Center’s “Health to Home” medical respite program serves people discharged from hospitals and other medical institutions who are too healthy to continue inpatient treatment but cannot yet fully function in the community. This program utilizes full-time professional medical staff to provide ongoing medical support in the shelter to help these vulnerable people stabilize their shelter experience and focus on restoring their housing. The Medical Respite Case Manager will assist a caseload of medically vulnerable individuals to follow our housing coordination process and regain a stable and safe home as quickly and permanently as possible.
We are looking for a competent social work professional with incredible patience and problem-solving skills who can work with an unusually vulnerable clientele with an unflagging positive spirit.
- Individual Case Management: assist program participants one-on-one to gather and upload documentation necessary for placement on the Housing Priority List, draft an individualized housing plan, and locate rental units which will accommodate the housing plan
- Group Teaching: providing housing-focused life skills training for program participants as a group on an at-least-weekly basis
- Community Networking: regularly presenting the program’s needs and successes to stakeholders in the community, most often hospital systems and street outreach providers
- Data entry and quality management: document all services in the local HMIS system, including case notes and client enrollment/exit with minimal missing data
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in human services field, preferably in psychology, sociology, or social work
- Master’s Degree and/or licensure in Social Work preferred
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
- Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Additional Experience a Plus:
- At least 3 years’ work or volunteer experience in homeless services
- Professional experience working with medically and mentally vulnerable people
- Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in counseling or social work
Qualified individuals please apply online at www.austinstreet.org/careers.