For more than 35 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support organization with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness, determination and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
As a fulltime employee of Austin Street Center, candidate will be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and sanitation of building, restrooms, office areas, meeting rooms and vehicles. (Multiple buildings, plus a chapel.)
Responsibilities to include (but not limited to)
- Cleaning Restrooms and Common Areas
- Cleaning of company vehicles
- Cleaning multiple floor types; concrete, wood, linoleum, tile.
- Vacuuming carpets / sweeping and moping.
- Collecting and taking out trash and recycling.
- Cleaning multiple surface types including glass/windows as needed.
- Maintaining inventory of cleaning supplies as needed.
Fundamental Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required
- Minimum High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Basic computer skills, email.
- Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus. (Not required)
- Ability to communicate proactively and effectively.
- Time Management and multitasking abilities.
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of various cleaning products uses and tools.
- Ability to lift and move over 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods.
- Physical strength and stamina.
- Experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Ability to remain positive, motivated, and kind toward a demanding clientele.