For more than 35 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support shelter with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
The Dallas Connector Project (DCP) Outreach Worker reports to the DCP Program Coordinator with the goal of assisting low-income income individuals, many of who are experiencing homelessness, who ride on DCP buses. Outreach Workers will ride on-board DCP shuttles over their routes. The worker will also assist DCP drivers as needed as a part of the program’s on-demand capabilities requiring passengers to be transported during inclement weather situations. DCP Outreach Worker will drive a 15-passenger vehicle in the event a Transportation Specialist (Driver) is unable to do so. The goal of this program is to assist low-income and/or homeless individuals who need no-charge transportation services to and from pre-determined locations for the purpose of accessing services and securing documents for housing and employment. Outreach Worker will assist riders in finding locations for services and collect information critical to the success of DCP. Passenger safety is of the utmost importance. The Outreach Worker will support the DCP driver and follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Austin Street Center Employment Handbook regarding the safe and efficient operation of vehicles belonging to Austin Street Center.
- Work with DCP Coordinator and drivers to assist passenger with schedules and route information so that passengers are informed and assisted in finding the resources and services they need.
- As directed by the DCP Coordinator and the Austin Street Center Handbook, assist the driver in cleaning and maintain vehicle according to Austin Street Center vehicle maintenance policies and procedures.
- As directed by the DCP Coordinator, collect passenger information using an electronic tablet, ensure information is organized and submitted for the Coordinator’s review. As needed, assist the Coordinator in sorting and organizing data for reports.
- Assist the driver in ensuring that DCP vehicles are safe and secure.
- When necessary assist passengers with getting in and out of vehicles and insure their safety by using and monitoring the use of safety restraints for driver and all passengers. This includes assisting patients with physical handicaps (i.e. patients in wheelchairs, patients using walkers, canes, etc.)
- Communicate with DCP Coordinator via cell phone to assist driver while on-board DCP vehicles.
- Ensure passengers understand and are compliant with all DCP program requirements.
- Maintain electronic and handwritten reports as required by the DCP Coordinator. Assist driver in reporting immediately all accidents involving DCP vehicle and/or passengers. Use Incident Report forms to properly record all information and submit to the DCP Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Help direct passengers to appropriate staff members at DCP service locations.
- Ability to work occasional flexible hours as requested
- Drive a 15-passenger vehicle when a DCP Transportation Specialist (Driver) is not available.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned.
Skills / Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Ability to communicate verbal and written in English
- Two (2) or more years of experience in a similar role within the homeless population
- Valid Class A, B or C Texas Operator’s License
- Ability to meet the driver certification requirements of Austin Street Center (21 years of age or older and have a clean driving record – no outstanding traffic tickets).
- Current CPR/First Aid certification or acquire certification within the first 12 months of employment.
- Must be able to operate a mobile phone using calendar and navigation functions.