For nearly 40 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission through the following actions:
Support organization with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness, determination and empowerment—our core values—for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
The Director of Marketing Communications & Events will have oversight of various communications, marketing, public relations, and community engagement activities. Responsibilities include content development for web, print collaterals, news stories, e-newsletters and social media messaging; coordinating the production of communications materials; planning and participating in organizational events; and promoting and fostering support for Austin Street Center mission.
- Oversees and/or develops and/or designs all collateral pieces (invitations, save the dates, programs etc.) for special programs, campaigns and fundraising events in coordination with the Chief Advancement Officer and development team
- Oversees execution of special events for the Austin Street Center
- Serve as a consultant to the Chief Advancement Officer and Chief Executive Officer to integrate donor centered communications, fundraising messaging and appropriate stewardship strategies
- Work closely with the fund development team in developing written correspondence, acknowledgement letters, and other collateral, which further sets the appropriate tone for stewardship at varied donor levels
- Communicate internally and externally a culture of philanthropy
- Prepare press releases, e-newsletters and direct mail appeals with appropriate parties internal and external
- Create and implement online marketing strategies, including directing the website, social media and email marketing campaigns
- Develop and maintain relationships with media and direct the creation and distribution
- Work in partnership with vendors and consultants to achieve marketing and event goals for the organization
Skills / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- Three (3) to five plus years successful in a similar role
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques
- Firm understanding of graphic design concepts, social media strategies, thorough understanding of web development and superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills and donor database knowledge including: PowerPoint, Excel and Raiser’s Edge