For almost 40 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support organization with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness, determination and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Responsibilities (include but not limited to)
- Welcome on site visitors, determines nature of business and announces visitors to appropriate personnel
- Check in volunteers utilizing Volunteer Management System
- Answer incoming telephone calls, determine purpose of callers and forwards calls to appropriate personnel or department and take messages
- Retrieve messages from voice mail and forwards to appropriate personnel
- Orders, receives, and maintains office supplies
- Maintain supplies for staff breakroom
- Interact with visitors, staff, and clients
- Perform clerical support tasks
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum of two years’ experience preferred
- Must be able to operate phone, copier, and computer
- Proficient with Microsoft office Suite and related software
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills (including professional phone etiquette)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Basic understanding of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- Associate degree or bachelor’s degree preferred