For more than 35 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support organization with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness, determination and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Positions acts as a HUB for phone calls, client inquiries, and shelter operations. Provides source of services, support, and guidance to Clients at Welcome Center. Answers phone calls, and client questions. Referring calls to appropriate areas as needed. Any phone messages must be responded on the shift they are received. Maintain services sign up lists. Tracking services provided. Ensure and direct shelter operations run smoothly and client/volunteer services are completed with positive enforcement.
- Facilitate daily operations of the shelter.
- Oversee the daily chores are done and completed acceptably by clients.
- Oversee the Cleanliness of the Shelter’s sleeping quarters, restrooms and Shower areas.
- Ensure the Welcome center is kept neat and clean at all times.
- Ensure the Welcome Center is well stocked at the beginning end of your shift. This includes: office supplies, OTC medications, and basic client hygiene items.
- Ensure we accurately track Entry/Exit reporting each day. (Daily Activity Report.)
- Record and warning/restriction, or incident activity on paper and in HMIS.
- Provide support to Case Managers as needed.
- Provide helpful information and direction for clients.
- Support Case aids and Kitchen as needed.
- Support clothing room and Laundry services as needed.
- Maintain a safe and healing environment for all clients and staff
- Provide high level overall coverage to rules/requirements to promote smooth intake and acclamation of new clients for success at Austin Street.
- Treat all clients with the utmost respect and dignity, displaying excellent customer service skills.
- Check in with overnight staff for hand off of shift change.
- Print out cot/mat log.
- Ensure inside clean up and client chores are performed to shelter requirement.
- Perform bed checks for excess baggage/food, etc. Maintain control on client’s personal property to meet shelter bag/weight requirements.
- Ensure Mop Buckets, showers, laundry runs smoothly and on time.
- Help Kitchen as needed.
- Minimum High school diploma or GED, preferably some coursework completed in human services or a related field (social work, sociology, psychology, etc.)
- Basic computer skills supporting Microsoft suite of products.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Ability to communicate proactively and effectively, both orally and in written communication
- Experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Ability to remain positive, motivated, and kind toward a demanding clientele
Additional Experience a Plus
- CPR – AED – First Aid
- Crisis/Hostile/De-escalation Training
- Social work or community outreach